Information for those who test positive for COVID-19, high-risk contacts, and workplaces
The change in case and contact management in Algoma
Click here to go directly to Algoma Public Health site.
Effective Friday, December 31, 2021, Algoma Public Health (APH) is implementing further changes to case and contact management processes to respond to the rapid spread of COVID-19, and to protect those most vulnerable, safeguard our hospital and ICU capacity, and redirect resources to COVID-19 immunization.
All changes are consistent with those announced by the province on December 30th, 2021.
Going forward, APH will be focusing on protecting the most vulnerable, by focusing case management on our high-risk settings, including include long term care homes, retirement homes, elder care lodges, hospices, home care agencies, hospitals, paramedics, congregate living settings (e.g. shelter, group home, or correctional facility), and other health care settings at APH’s discretion. Schools and daycares are no longer considered high risk settings.
Positive cases in high risk settings will receive full case and contact management by APH, while other cases in the community will be asked to self-identify and inform their close contacts. This means that not everyone will get a call from public health or the provincial workforce with guidance on next steps.
This webpage provides you with detailed guidance to protect yourself and others.
The goal of this approach is to reduce the transmission of COVID-19 by managing individuals with the high-risk of transmission and preventing transmission to vulnerable persons in high-risk settings. We continue to strive to minimize illness and death from COVID-19 in Algoma and mitigate the impact of COVID-19 on our health system.
To achieve these goals, we are calling on the public to help control the spread of COVID-19.
This page provides guidance on what to do if:
I want to get PCR tested for COVID-19
- I have symptoms of COVID-19
- I tested positive for COVID-19 on a Rapid Antigen Test (RAT) at home or work
- I tested positive for COVID-19 on a PCR or RAT test, or have symptoms of COVID-19
- How are close contacts identified and notified
- I’m a close contact of a person who has symptoms of COVID-19 or tested positive
- I live or work in a high-risk setting
- I need help to self-isolate (e.g., I need a safe space or delivery of essentials like food)
- I am a parent, guardian or caregiver of a person who has symptoms of COVID-19 or tested positive
- My business/organization has staff who are symptomatic or tested positive for or have symptoms of COVID-19
- I have finished my self-isolation period
- I want to speak with public health
Important Documents for Cases, Contacts, and Persons in High Risk Settings:
- Information for people who are a confirmed case of COVID-19 via PCR or Rapid Antigen Testing, or have symptoms compatible with COVID-19 (presumed COVID-19 case) (PDF)
- Letter of Instructions for Close Contacts (PDF)
- Guidance for Persons who Live or Work in High-Risk Setting: Quick Info Sheet (PDF)
- Rapid Antigen Test Results Reporting Form for High-Risk Settings Only (PDF)
1. I want to get PCR tested for COVID-19